Figuring Out

Common Electrical Hazards and How to Mitigate Them

Electricity plays a crucial role in our day to day lives. Apart from powering appliances electricity is also used to light our homes. However, when not handled properly electricity can be DANGEROUS. Many people have died due to electrocution and other electrical hazards. Also, one of the causes of damage to numerous properties is electricity. There will be a significant decline in the number of electrical deaths, injuries, and damages if people are made aware of the common electrical dangers and ways to mitigate electrical hazards. You are in the right place if you want to know about electrical hazards and how to avoid them.

It is DANGEROUS to use wet hands when handling electricity. Electric shock is mainly caused by handling electrical sockets and power outlets with wet hands. Death and even electric fire are some of the severe cases of handling electrical components with wet hands. Before you plug in a device into a socket or power outlet or to turn off and on switches, you should make sure your hands are dry. The other DANGEROUS thing that people do when handling electricity and electrical components is overloading power outlets. Before plugging in devices into power sockets and outlets, you should first find out the amount of electricity the socket or outlet can handle. When the devices plugged into power sockets and outlets are of high power voltage, it is considered overloading the power source. Overloading power outlets and sockets usually lead to electric fires.

Ensuring you do not plug in more than one power strip into a single socket is important because it prevents overloading. Another DANGEROUS thing that leads to electric fire hazards is when water comes into contact with electricity. Connecting electrical appliances near water sources should be avoided as it helps prevent water from coming into contact with electricity. You should first switch off the power source at the main switch before you unplug the appliance if you realize there is somewhere that electric line and water are in contact. To prevent such things from happening in the future, you should hire a qualified electrician to repair the power line.

Some people prefer doing electrical repairs in their homes on their own to avoid the cost of hiring a qualified electrician. Despite the cost-effectiveness of this practice, it is highly discouraged. If you are not a qualified electrician, you should not handle any electrical repairs in your house. DIY electrical upgrades and repairs can lead to electric fire or death when you or someone else gets electrocuted; thus, it is dangerous to conduct electrical upgrades, and repairs on your own. Numerous electric fires and deaths have also happened due to poor wiring; therefore, it is a DANGEROUS to wire electrical cables the wrong way. Electric cables should be coated with an insulator and wired properly to prevent electrical dangers.